Many of you have heard of the growing number of coronavirus cases in Suffolk County and how this is affecting our quality of life. This pandemic has also affected local municipalities, which have resorted to closures of their offices and cutbacks to basic services, including garbage collection. During this crucial time, we want to give you an update on what is happening with our Village meetings and events:
- Village Hall has been closed indefinitely. As a result, we will conduct our monthly work session on March 31 and our Village board meeting on April 7 through a conference call; these meetings will not be open to the public. Minutes of the meetings will be available upon request.
- We also cancelled our Cup of Joe that was scheduled for March 28. It is our hope that we can host another Cup of Joe — whether in person or over Facebook Live — sometime in the near future.
- Justice Court has been closed until further notice. Those with unpaid parking tickets and suspension lifts may mail them to Justice Court at 1100 Old Nichols Road, Islandia, NY 11749. If you are unsure of the amount of your fine or lift, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due to the state mandate prohibiting large gatherings, we have closed down the First Responders Recreational Ball Field. We have also cancelled the Easter Egg Hunt scheduled for April 4 and the Village’s 35th anniversary celebration that was supposed to take place on April 11.
- The Islandia Senior Center is being shut down for the time being. All scheduled activities at the Center have been cancelled.
- Garbage collection in the Village will continue as scheduled.
We are currently following the directives as ordered by the Suffolk County Department of Health, the New York State Department of Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and we are asking our residents to do the same. That means washing your hands thoroughly and often, avoiding physical contact, self-isolation if you show signs of the disease and staying away from large gatherings.
If you have any questions, you may contact me at email@example.com. I will answer every email. You may also fill out our contact form at www.newvillageofislandia.com to receive updates via email.
Stay safe and stay vigilant.
Allan M. Dorman