March 31, 2020
I am writing to update you on how the coronavirus outbreak is affecting your Village government:
- Village Hall has been closed indefinitely. As a result, we will conduct our monthly work session on March 31 and our Village board meeting on April 7 through a conference call; these meetings will not be open for public comment. Minutes of the meetings will be available.
- We also cancelled our Cup of Joe that was scheduled for March 28. It is our hope that we can host another Cup of Joe — whether in person or over Facebook Live — sometime in the near future.
- Justice Court has been closed until further notice. Those with unpaid parking tickets and suspension lifts may mail them to Justice Court at 1100 Old Nichols Road, Islandia, NY 11749. If you are unsure of the amount of your fine or lift, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Due to the state mandate prohibiting large gatherings, we have closed down the First Responders Recreational Ball Field. We have also cancelled the Easter Egg Hunt scheduled for April 4 and the Village’s 35th anniversary celebration that was supposed to take place on April 11.
- The Islandia Senior Center is being shut down for the time being. All scheduled activities at the Center have been cancelled.
- Garbage collection in the Village will continue as scheduled.
I know that job losses, infection reports and health care fears have had a tremendous impact on our quality of life. As difficult as these times may seem, I can assure you that we will get through this. It’s not the first pandemic that has affected our country, and it’s certainly not the first crisis, either. We know that very well as New Yorkers and as Americans.
Let’s make the most of this together. Take the opportunity to spend more time with our family, learn a new skill, or take on a home improvement. As we do so, please look in on our neighbors who may be alone at this time. Staying home and social distancing is having an impact on all of us, especially those of us who don’t have someone to ride out the storm with.
If you have any questions, or if you would just like to chat, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will answer every email. You may also fill out our contact form at www.newvillageofislandia.com to receive updates via email.
Stay safe and stay vigilant.
Allan M. Dorman